Humans......Humans!!!

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Yesterday I went to make my voter-ID card. There were not many people and the woman working there asked me to wait for some time so that she could sort out all the mess. Then she asked me if I could help. I didn’t have anything lined up so I joined her to sort out all the heap of applications.
In that process she asked me whether I had any class to attend that I am missing to help her. I felt contempt. Do I look like some 10th grade student who has tuition classes to attend? After all, I was there to make my voter-ID card so I have to be 18+. Isn’t that common sense?
I told her that I am a teacher myself. And then her reaction was even more disgraceful. She looked me from the corner of her eye as if laughing at me. Then she asked me what classes I take and I am sure she was expecting me to say ‘nursery’. I told her that I take till VIII class and then I turned away to avoid seeing her reaction. Even then she didn’t give up; she asked me what subjects I take, half expecting me to say ‘art’ or ‘music’. When I said I take maths she finally gave up.

Alright, I agree that with a short top and a low-waist-jeans she couldn’t relate me with a ‘teacher’ but do I look so unfit for this profession. Not only this time, but this is the reaction I have been getting since the day I decided to join this profession. Even my family is no better. My granny was most happy when she got to know that wearing saree is compulsory in the school I have joined because she thinks that at least that would make me look a bit healthier and older. My brother keeps lecturing me that if I remain like this and “don’t carry a persona of a teacher”; nobody is going to take me seriously even if I am good.
Well, I love the way I look and I am not going out of my way to look plump and older just to suit the general perception about my profession.

3 Comments:

  • firstly and honestly m laughing after reading this.... :D

    but on a serious note I think that who all think that physical relevance is "the" parameter to judge the capabilities of a person in any profession doesn't possess the qualities to be a gud judge.

    its all in there - ur confidence, ur intelligence and ur determination wch keeps u motivating to reach n grow higher in life so it doesn't matter how u look like coz that is nt wht is required for u to the job (at least this one).

    Also u hv all the rights to wear anything u want to, y shud anybdy compromise on personal front.

    Last bt nt the least....u hv always been gud at whteva u did so keep goin sweety....just ignore any comments wch distracts u from doin teh right things in ur life. May be such experiences are nt easy to encounter, hwevr this shud make u feel more stronger.

    By Blogger Atul Jain, at 6:18 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Sangeeta, at 6:40 AM  

  • @ Atul

    laugh at the post.. not at me ;)

    these things coming frm a brother like u means a lot to me.. thanks.. :)

    By Blogger Sangeeta, at 6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


web page hit counter
Blockbuster DVD Rental